Finishing the loop

Well the convention is over (“The Bytown Bobber” NFR region of the NMRA) and now I can catch my breath. There was a flurry of activity getting ready for the convention and I can proudly say I accomplished what I wanted done for the convention. Over the course of the convention when the layout was open to convention goers, about 45 people visited the layout. So, without further ado, lets get started.

The last section of benchwork that needed to be built in order to complete “the loop” was the section that went from the hot water tank to the door. This section had to be removable in case (on when) work needed to be done on the hot water tank. In order to achieve this, two cleats were screwed to the wall to support the back of the benchwork and two legs were added to support the front.

I quick verification with the level revealed a 1/4″ difference between the track levels on each side of the doorway. In order to compensate for this I put in a 1 degree slope after the turnout that will lead to the future town of Mosquito Flats.

Now it was tine to build the bridge over the “gorge”. Originally I had planned to hinge one end and lift it out of the way when not in use, but Murphy stepped in and there was not enough clearance between the layout and the ceiling for the lift bridge. After much thought and debate plan B was put into effect, build a lift out section. This was constructed using 1″ x 4″ maple for the top and 1″ x 2″ maple for the sides to make a “U”. This was attached to the benchwork by keying it in on both sides. A trailer plug was used to power the track on the bridge.

Feeling pretty confident with my track laying ability I decided to run a train around the loop, figuring I would enjoy the show. The train was pulled by my Forney which promptly derailed just before the turnout that leads to Mosquito Flats. As I mentioned in an earlier update the forney is the most finicky locomotive I own. Going through the turnout at slow speed showed the rear truck of the forney coming off the track as the front was entering the turnout. A ruler across the turnout showed a huge dip in the track in the middle of the turnout. It seams that there was a pretty good dip in the foam below the turnout and the sanding of the ties didn’t take care of the problem. Careful prying of the cork roadbed off the foam and inserting styrene shims took care of the dip. Now I was able to sit back, relax and watch the train go round.

What is up next, I’m not sure but I think I’m going to take a few weeks off the layout build and build some building and a couple of other projects I’ve been putting off to bet the layout built. Till next time, keep the wheels on the track and have fun.

Return to Volume 2 Main Page